Going to the dentist for routine check-ups and professional cleanings is a small step that can make a big difference in your long-term oral health and your overall health as well. Unfortunately, many people think that if their teeth appear to be in good condition, it’s okay to skip their dental exams and regular cleanings. Doing so could put the well-being of your oral health in jeopardy. Before scheduling your next dental cleaning with the friendly team at Dentistree of Manassas, check out these 5 benefits of regular teeth cleanings.
Dental Cleanings Overview
Dental cleanings are preventative treatments that are used to remove plaque and tartar buildup from the surface of your teeth. They are performed by a dental hygienist who uses a special tool to gently scrape plaque and tartar from the surface of your teeth and around your gum line. Plaque is a clear, sticky film that develops on your teeth when bacteria and food particles aren’t removed with regular at-home brushing. If left untreated, plaque buildup can harden into tartar, which can eventually lead to other dental complications. It’s recommended by the American Dental Association that children and adults alike have their teeth professionally cleaned every six months, or as directed by their dentist.
Why Are Regular Dental Cleaning Important?
Regular dental cleanings are an essential part of protecting your teeth and gums. Here are 5 benefits that having your teeth professionally cleaned can provide:
- Keep Teeth Free From Plaque: Plaque can’t be removed with regular brushing at home and won’t go away on its own. A routine Dental cleaning can remove plaque before it progresses.
- Prevent Serious Dental Problems: When left indefinitely, plaque can lead to other serious dental concerns, including gum disease and tooth loss.
- Reduce The Risk of Gingivitis: One of the most common problems that dental cleanings can prevent is gingivitis, the earliest stage of gum disease. By removing the bacteria from your gum line, dental cleanings can keep your gums healthy and strong.
- Help Your Teeth To Last Longer: Preventing oral health problems from developing in the first place with routine dental cleanings is the best way to help your teeth last a lifetime.
- Brighter Smile: Healthy teeth are beautiful teeth. Removing plaque and tartar with regular dental cleanings will help your smile shine bright.
Taking Care of Teeth Between Dental Cleanings
Dental cleanings are an effective way to protect the health of your smile, but they certainly aren’t the only step that matters. It’s equally important to practice good oral health habits on a regular basis between your six-month dental cleanings. Fortunately, keeping your smile healthy is as simple as:
- Brushing your teeth two times a day
- Flossing and using mouthwash every day
- Limiting your consumption of foods that are difficult to remove from your teeth, such as chewy candy
- Drink water during and after eating to remove food particles and bacteria that can lead to plaque
Schedule your Dental Cleaning at Dentistree of Manassas
Maintaining a healthy, beautiful smile for life is easier than you might think. By practicing good dental hygiene and visiting the dentist twice a year for routine dental exams and professional cleanings, you’ll be well on your way to preventing oral health problems before they begin. If you can’t remember the last time you had your teeth cleaned at the dentist, there’s no better time to make your oral health a priority. The compassionate team at Dentistree of Manassas is eager to show you how convenient caring for your smile can be. We are committed to providing exceptional dental care in a comfortable, professional setting. Contact our Manassas VA dental office today to schedule your next appointment!